Website Women Against Abuse
Custody and Support Staff Attorney
Are you looking for a meaningful career opportunity that will help support the safety of families across Philadelphia? Are you interested in being part of an established, vision-oriented nonprofit organization? Women Against Abuse, is looking for an experienced individual to join the team as a Custody and Support Staff Attorney!
What we do:
Women Against Abuse (WAA) is Philadelphia’s leading domestic violence advocate and service provider and among the largest domestic violence agencies in the country. We’re also have one of the first Domestic Violence Law Centers in the country. The mission of WAA is to provide quality, compassionate and nonjudgmental services in a manner that fosters self-respect and independence in persons experiencing intimate partner violence. We will lead the struggle to end domestic violence through advocacy and community education. With over 165 staff, WAA serves over 14,000 individuals each year through emergency residential services with two, 100 bed safe havens and 15 transitional housing apartments, legal services, hotline counseling, aftercare community-based services, prevention & education, and advocacy
What we need:
The Custody and Support Staff Attorney will provide legal representation to victims of domestic violence across a range of issues, including protection from abuse, child custody, support and any related matter of legal significance. The primary area of focus will be custody and support.
What you’ll do:
- Litigate cases originating as domestic violence matters, conduct client interviews, make court appearances, represent clients in trials, and perform all necessary legal work.
- Participate in program evaluation and planning to ensure that the Legal Center is improving the legal system’s response to victims of domestic violence.
- Provide functional supervision of Legal Center staff and interns working on assigned cases.
- Attend meetings of relevant community programs and legal associations as requested by the Legal Center Director and Managing Attorney as well as perform speaking engagements or community trainings, as appropriate.
- All responsibilities are implemented according to our mission and values and according to Agency standards, including the Sanctuary Model ®.
What you’ll need:
- A Juris Doctorate, with a current license to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is required.
- Familiarity with the court system regarding domestic violence issues is strongly preferred.
- Experience with legal representation to victims of domestic violence preferred.
- Three (3) years of experience in family law and/or public interest, preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills are required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively represent an advocacy agency or function is required.
- Demonstrated ability to organize time and detail, including keeping of records, is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse population is required.
- Demonstrated commitment to service of others is required.
- Bilingualism, Spanish/English is strongly preferred.
- Must satisfactorily pass criminal (state & FBI) and child abuse clearances, TB Test, and must attend 45 hours of Domestic Violence Training.
How to apply: Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com if you are interested.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We strongly encourage candidates of color, LGBTQ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org