Website FMC Corporation
FMC Corporation is focused on agricultural technologies.
This is an exciting opportunity for a lawyer to join FMC Corporation, a dynamic publicly-traded multinational chemical company. Based in Philadelphia, you will join a top-flight legal team to work in a fast-paced environment on Intellectual Property matters of consequence to FMC. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in pragmatic, business-astute counseling on patents, trade secrets and trademarks.
FMC seeks an Intellectual Property attorney to join its Philadelphia based legal team to work in a fast-paced environment on matters of consequence to FMC. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in pragmatic, strategic, business-astute counseling on patents, trade secrets and trademarks, as well as related contract matters. The candidate should have excellent drafting, communication, and negotiation skills.
This vital role provides an ideal professional environment for a confident, proactive, commercially-minded lawyer with high levels of autonomy balanced with organization and team needs, and an ability to manage challenging, significant matters.
- Work with R&D and business personnel to manage patent, trademark and trade secret matters for a significant segment of FMC’s growing Agricultural Solutions business;
- Work with the FMC IP team in support of high-profile, multi-functional projects;
- Guide drafting and prosecution of international patent applications to obtain commercially significant patent protection for technology developed in the responsible R&D segment;
- Provide freedom-to-operate opinions and guidance, based on legal, business and technical considerations;
- Work with R&D personnel to monitor, investigate and challenge third-party patent developments;
- Develop relationships with R&D personnel to foster a culture of invention disclosure, leading to patent development and protection;
- Provide strategic patent and trade secret advice to R&D and business personnel;
- Prepare and counsel R&D and business personnel on Intellectual Property provisions and agreements including confidentiality, material transfer, research, licensing and joint development agreements;
- Assist in enforcement of patent, trademark and trade secret rights, as well as other IP disputes with third parties;
- Guide outside counsel;
- Set and manage IP budgets in responsible R&D segment;
- Actively support trademark strategy in responsible business segment, including trademark acquisition, clearance, maintenance and enforcement.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably advanced, in a chemistry or biology related discipline;
- Law degree from an accredited US Law school
- Active Bar Membership – PA preferred
- Strong academic credentials, a state bar admission, and admission to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- Preferred 5-7+ years relevant legal experience, comprised of law firm or in-house counsel experience, preferably both;
- A proven track record of serving as a trusted Intellectual Property business advisor, preferably in international settings;
- Substantial, substantive experience drafting and prosecuting US and international patent applications, having drafted, filed and prosecuted to allowance a substantial number of international patent applications;
- Significant involvement enforcing IP rights;
- Experience evaluating desired trademarks for use and registration;
- The ability to spend at least a day or two days per week at the FMC R&D site in Newark, Delaware;
- The ability to travel as necessary, which may be approximately 10-15% of the time;
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively address and influence all levels of the organization, including the ability to effectively communicate how an issue impacts the Company from both a business and legal perspective;
- Demonstrated success contributing to a culture of constant improvement;
A focus on client needs with a commitment to timing, quality and client service;
- A problem solver who moves resolution to a positive outcome for legal, R&D and business concerns;
- A practical, roll-up-the-shirt-sleeves, hands-on approach to the practice of law;
- A business partner, who likes working side-by-side with R&D and business people, is receptive to opposing views and can accept and implement the ultimate decision;
- The ability to work well both independently and as part of a highly collaborative, international team, in a fast-paced cross-cultural environment;
- A strong work ethic and the ability to prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously.
To apply for this job please visit jobs-fmc.icims.com.