Website Delaware Riverkeeper Network
The Delaware Riverkeeper Network (DRN), based in Bristol, PA, is committed to creating an inclusive community of staff and volunteers that is representative of the Watershed we serve. In doing so, we are better able to champion the rights of our communities to a Delaware River and tributary streams that are free-flowing, clean, healthy, and abundant with a diversity of life. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds create a stronger voice for the River.
DRN is seeking to hire a Research & Legal Associate to join DRN’s legal team.
DRN works to protect the Delaware River watershed and ecosystems from threats such as shale gas extraction, pipeline and powerline construction, dredging, stormwater runoff, wetlands degradation, species take, and pollution. DRN’s legal team consists of two full-time litigation track attorneys, a full-time research and legal associate, and a semester-based law clinic. The full-time litigation track attorneys report to Ms. van Rossum, who is the Delaware Riverkeeper, leader of DRN, and also an attorney.
DRN seeks a Research & Legal Associate to provide support and assistance to the Delaware Riverkeeper and the litigation track attorneys as directed.
Senior Litigation Attorney
- Analyze, edit, and synthesize voluminous publications covering a variety of topics including: water quality threats; habitat and ecosystem threats; public health threats; illegal discharges; invasive species; and endangered and at-risk species to help inform the position and work of the DRN on advocacy issues and litigation
- Conduct library and internet research, drafting short summary reports
- Research and draft legal memos and supporting documents for the Delaware Riverkeeper and DRN’s litigation track attorney
- Help pull together legal filings for the court, including preparing copying, binding, collating, tabbing, etc. briefs, and providing final edit review of documents to be filed with the court
- Bluebooking citations
- Check daily/weekly online sources for relevant issues
- Craft, submit and follow up on freedom of information act and right to know requests in all four watershed states and with federal agencies
- Help organize and advance collaboration with experts and other organizations involved in legal or advocacy work
- Other duties as assigned
- Law degree received or paralegal training
- A background in environmental studies, political science or environmental policy;
- Demonstrated interest in the environment
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Computer literacy, especially with MS Word and Excel
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good time-management skills
Base starts at $45,000 but is negotiable
- Insurance: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short & Long Term Disability
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match after one year of employment
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Medical, Dependent Care, Transit & Parking Expenses
- Generous time-off policies
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code
The position is located in DRN’s main office in Bristol, Bucks County, PA. This position is generally office based. However, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, DRN staff are currently working remotely from their homes.
Submit cover letter, resume, names and contact information for three references, at least one legal writing sample, and other pertinent information
Please send email with the required attachments to the attention of Maya van Rossum, the Delaware Riverkeeper, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email subject line should read, “Research and Legal Associate Application.” No telephone calls.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Physical Requirements and Demands/Work Environment
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job, including some hands-on physical work.
- Constantly required to operate standard office equipment, such as a computer, phones, photocopiers, printers, and fax machines.
- Occasionally required to move files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Work will be primarily indoors, in an office setting.
DRN is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com